Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Women in Apologetics (Part 1): The International Society of Women in Apologetics

Brian Auten over at Apologetics 315 has kindly given me permission to re-post a series he is doing this week on women in apologetics, each written by a different woman apologist. I will post the first third or so of each post here and then provide the link to the rest. Or, you can simply follow the series from his site. As I am already two posts behind, the first two will be in rapid succession. I should also note that I am in no way endorsing any of the views represented in these posts, and it should not be assumed that I agree with everything each author is saying. In fact, I do not. However, women's rights is an issue that is near to my heart, and I believe that greater awareness of it at nearly any level is a good thing. I simply cannot pass up the opportunity to increase this awareness when it comes from my own field. That said, on to the first contribution:

The International Society of Women in Apologetics - Sarah Ankenman

Why ISWA?

Most often, while sitting at the ISWA table at Apologetics conferences, I get quite a few women who come up to me and ask me the same three questions. First, “why does there need to be something special just for women in the field of apologetics?” Second, “why apologetics at all?” which is usually followed by the statement, “all I need is the Word of God”. Finally, I get the million-dollar inquiry of, “can women even do apologetics? What about Paul saying that women need to keep silent in the church?” In the following paragraphs, I will attempt to answer those questions.

First, let me explain ISWA’s purpose. We are not inventing some new apologetic just for women. When you come to an ISWA event, or read an ISWA article, or watch a DVD of an ISWA member, you are getting the same apologetics any man would get at an apologetics conference. All of the women who teach or write for ISWA have all gleaned from, or have personally sat under, the teachings of great apologists like Dr. Norman Geisler, Dr. Gary Habermas, Greg Koukl, Ravi Zacharias, Dr. Ron Rhodes, Dr. Win Corduan, etc. I love apologetics and fortunately, God has called me into the very field I love, because through His grace He gave me one of the desires of my heart. However, I am also the mother of an energetic three-year-old. I realize that not every woman who enjoys going deeper in her studies, and loves apologetics, has the time to go to seminary. It’s difficult for even myself, and so somewhere along this journey, I realized that there needed to be something for today’s busy woman.

If you have done any apologetics at all, you have probably noticed that the conferences tend to last all day, if not a few days, and the average apologetics book is longer than the time you have to read it. Also, they tend to filled with ideas, theories, and words that are over the average person’s head, my own head included. I often refer to a dictionary or Google when I am doing research or reading, and I have been studying for nine years now. Also, even though I love theology and apologetics, if I have been up all night with my son, the last thing I want to do is sit down and read a book and try to comprehend Metaphysics. I realized that there needed to be something that teaches apologetics, but in an easy to understand manner and in smaller bites...

Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment